Friday, October 17, 2008

What I learned from......mom



I want my first in this series to be my mom. Lessee.....
Music. I guess I got my appreciation of good music from her. She always had a piano in the house, and was always playing something like Chopin. And she was a pianist and organist in church as far back as I can remember. Thanks to her, I didn't grow up just listening to the Beach Boys!
Be clean. Not sure I REALLY learned this. But she was a neat-freak. Always kept the house neat and clean. In fact, if I didn't keep my room clean, I'd come home from school and find half my "stuff" in the trash! I'm not quite that obsesive, but I do like to keep the areas of our home where we have guests at least what I call "presentable". (I think my farm-hick dad gave me a good balance in this department) She always kept herself looking good, too. I hardly ever saw her looking "frumpy". Maybe when she was sick with the flue or something.
Family. She always tried to keep in touch with our extended family. Letters, pictures, and of course genealogy. I grew up never being able to understand how someone could NOT like Thanksgiving! Not being close to ones extended family was unthinkable.
Church and God. I've struggled with this one off and on thru my life. Her dedication was seemingly unwavering, and I've always admired that quality. She never seemed to question where she stood with God, and what her life was all about. Alot can be learned from her example. I've not told too many about this, but I KNOW she came to me from the other side right after I had my first angioplasty, to let me know everything was going to be alright. I was scared to death about my life, and she came across to give me comfort when I really needed it. Thanks mom.
Endurance thru trials. Heaven knows she went thru trials! I remember when I was young she was in the hospital several times for back surgery. Then later, the cancer. 2 masectomies. Then the tumers on her spine. Chemo. Radiation therapy. Years this went on. And never once did I hear her shake her fist at God about it. Quite the contrary. I saw her spirit strengthen. She emulated how we should face lifes challenges. When she FINALLY decided she'd had enough, and told the doctors, no more treatments, she went out with strength and dignity.
It's too bad childeren aren't in any way aware of the love a mother has for them. I gave my mom hell as I was growing up, and only really came to appreciate her in her last years. This list is very short and abreviated, but hopefully gives some sense of her importance in my life.

5 comments:

Wendell and Carole said...

Rick, what a wonderful tribute to your mother. I never remember her ever looking frumpy either. She alway's was so dignified and beautiful. Wish I had her beauty. She did suffer so in the last year's. Sometimes life seems so cruel, but always thing's are for a reason. I just got into work, and read your blog, and you have me crying. That was so sweet to read that. I am so glad we know that we will see our loved ones again. I LOVE, LOVE, that picture of your bare butt!! That is one to pass on to the generation's. Nana was probabley thinking, What the Hey. Anyway, what a sweet tribute to your sweet mother. Carole Ann.

Vera said...

Rick, I had to steal that picture too. Your Mother WAS beautiful and I always had respect and admiration for her. I will always have vivid memories of her and the time I was
able to spend time around her. She was certainly someone to look up to her. Good job.

Vera said...

OH YEAH, AND I BET NANA NEVER GOT THAT PICTURE OF YOUR 'YOU KNOW' OUT OF HER POOR LITTLE BRAIN AFTER ALL THOSE YEARS...

Miriam said...

Thanks Rick for sharing those thoughts. I loved aunt Carol. I remember how pretty she was, I remember her laugh--kind of deep and would make her shake when she laughed--that sounds weird, but it was very comforting. I loved to listen to her and my mom talk (the dads were pretty fun to listen to also--a crack up would be a better description.) She did a good job with you. You have such an incredible sense of humor and are so very curious and smart.

bev said...

Wow, awesome tribute. I'm speechless. That was really nice!