Friday, July 17, 2009

I hate flying!

Our little va-ca was awesome. Glad we drove. Took 2 days to get up there, but drove straight thru coming home. Almost 13 hours flat. It's exhausting to drive, but I'll take it over flying. Last couple times I flew, I absolutely couldn't wait to get off the damn plane! The stupid security check-in. The cattle-call getting on. The fat sweaty guy you sit next to(oh, wait. I was that fat sweaty guy.) The broken seat back I had to endure one flight. The quesey stomach every time the airplane dips and sways. And you call that a SNACK?!?!
No thanks. Give me the wide open hiway! Well, Idaho is a little TOO wide and open. But heck. This is a beautiful country(most of it). You can stop and go as you please. Snack as you please. Meet people.
There was the guy with the old hot-rod at the gas station in Nampa Idaho. Rolled down the window and talked to him for a minute as he was getting ready to leave.
There was the nice folks at the rest stop taking turns holding the 2 year old outside the restroom.
There's the sights. We've made a small list of fun things to watch for along the way. At the top of my blog right now is a picture of one of our fav's. Beautiful Lake Bob, just north of Baker, Oregon. It's a smallish man-made lake, more of a big pond. Right off the freeway, in front of a farmhouse. We laugh every trip.
"here it comes."
Look! There it is! Lake Bob!"
Silly really. We keep watching for Lake Martha. Has to be along there SOMEWHERE.
Oh, then there's the old homestead we want to buy for a summer cabin just s little further south.


Now, how ya gonna have all that excitement flying at 30,000 feet?
There probably are limits. Our trip back to Minnesota a few years back was a bit too long. Two and a half exhausting days, each way!
But no. I'll keep driving,thank you very much.

6 comments:

bev said...

I'm with ya.

Miriam said...

I think I'd rather fly any day--two or three hours compared to one or two days--I go crazy in a car, I just want to get there already.

Wendell and Carole said...

I agree with Mimi, Fly, get there, and start having fun. I LOVE flying. That taking off and landing, is a great feeling. I hate roller coasters, tho, but I love taking off in a plane. I really do miss my job as a flight attendant. That was my most favorite thing, take off and landing, and of course getting those passenger's off the plane, who alway's said,"This is our snack?" When do land, When do land, Get me off this plane!!!! Just kidding Rick. (not really). Glad you guy's had a great time, and it is a LONG, but beautiful drive to Seattle.....

Vera said...

I'll fly any day, over driving.
That's cause I live down here in purgatory and if you want to go somewhere its 'a LONG drive'.....
Plus, the hubby is a baby when it comes to who gets to drive.

RickG said...

LOL! Figured I'd have alot of disagree-ers on this.
Dunno. Just have never had that great an experience flying. The take-offs are alot of fun, tho. Just atke off, land, take off, land, take off, land.......

BeckyB said...

I do love the ability to be in another state within hours, but I do have to agree with dad. Driving is such a beautiful way to travel. I mean... how would we have ever known about Lake Bob without traveling by way of car? ;)