Sunday, May 24, 2009

On this Memorial Day

A more serious moment here.
I'd like to make honor to family members that have served in the service. But to make a list of names, I know I'd leave someone out. So let me make an honorarium to one that gave his life for our country.
My Grandpy Kellogg had a younger brother, Harold G. Kellogg, that joined the service during World War II. I don't have many details, as to what branch(the army I assume), dates, ect. But he was one that lost his life during the great D-Day invasion. Uncle Chuck says he's buried in New Jersey. I'd like to find more info, if anyone has any(Aunte Elaine?).


Some years ago, Aunt Elaine tracked down a daughter of his. Apparently Harold was married before he went off to war, and left behind a pregnant wife. The daughter, Karen, has a letter her dad wrote to her right after she was born. He may have been over in England at the time preparing for the invasion, but I'm not sure. anyway, here's copies of the letter, and the letter Karen sent to Aunt Elaine. I hope these post ok here. (Click on them to enlarge them to readable size)




And Harold's letter:



I can never keep a dry eye as I read these letters.
I so honor those who serve our country. I watch war documentaries alot. Programs on WWII especially hit home, as my dad served in that war along with his brother Vernon(our son is named after him). That's my dad on the left, with Vernon on the right. They met up over in Guam during the war.

3 comments:

BeckyB said...

Thank you dad...-snif- I needed to be reminded of why we have a memorial day and what a perfect way to recieve that message.

BeckyB said...

speakin of Vernon....I'm still waitin on some info I had requested on your "Gustafson" Blog ;)

bev said...

that was very nice Rick. I learned something.