Sunday, April 26, 2009

Question for ya'll

I see Vera is striking out on some kind of a venture. All the best luck to her, whatever it is(please! Tell us!)
I've been pondering a little something of my own. My biggest prob is, I don't really have the 'ol entrepreneurial spirit. I tried a few things years ago, and decided I was happiest to punch someone elses time clock, for reasons I won't go into here. Just isn't my thang. But.
Part of what I want to add to my house, is some stained glass windows. alot of houses of this era, and style came with them.


Mine didn't. I want some. But antiques are spendy, and so are new ones. I've talked to my brother, about adding stained glass to his home buisness. And he's not into it. But I've seen programs on TV showing some of the processes for making them, and restoring them. Doesn't look like rocket science, just tedious. I found there's a buisness close to where I work that makes them. And they sell supplies to those that want to make them, as well as teach classes. My issue is, I can only make so many for my house. So, if I'm going to go to the trouble to learn how to make them, and buy the "stuff" to do it, I may as well look at making it a side venture, but a limited one.
So, would there be any interest within the family for such additions to your homes? I'd rather do something like this for friends and family, for reasonable prices. I really hate doing the whole salesman thing. Not excited about advertising, talking to strangers, ect.
I'm just tossing this around in my feeble brain right now. Not really sure I NEED another hobby. But it does have me interested.
I actually have another little thing like this, but would require purchasing some kinda expensive equipment. I may talk about that later. I tossed it out to Kim one time, and it got a positive reaction from her. So I dunno.......

5 comments:

bev said...

I think this is something you do for the love of doing it, like an artist paints... Stained glass peices are beautiful but they are labor intensive and therefore not cheap. You would only have a very specific demographic market. Family may not be that demographic market. Probably only to a very small extent. I would certainly consider buying a peice from you. I can see you doing some beautiful work. Your such a perfectionist. I think you should go for it.

Vera said...

I would certainly be interested in buying a piece also. Do it....

BeckyB said...

So I'm thinking I would love to get some portable window hangs from you. If you know what I mean??? I've always loved staind glass too. But I figured it was out of reach for me to get for a long time. But hey if your up for trying it, I'd deffinately purchase a few from ya. I know you'd do beautiful work!

Wendell and Carole said...

In a heart-beat I'd buy one. I love stained glass, and you would do a wonderful job. Go for it. I know you need something else to do.

RickG said...

Well, alrighty then. I'll give this some more serious consideration. It would probably be a winter-type project. Have too much to do to the yard and outside of the house this summer.
Thanks for the comments!