Sunday, October 4, 2009

Welcome to a new family member!

Sucked ya in with that title, huh?!
Here's the new family member, for the one or 2 that just might care.
Found it on the internet, after weeks of research and study, and searching. Wanted something to step in place of my poor, tired old Subaru. I was gonna buy another Subie, but for various reasons, didn't. But I like the utility of a station wagon, it had to get good gas mileage(like up near 30 mpg hiway), it had to be something with a good solid dependability rating(which eliminated ANYTHING domestic), be within a certain budget, and decent in the snow. Oh, and have air conditioning that works!
So, Toyota is about the only thing that I kept coming back to. Subies have a couple issues that scared me off, like blowing head gaskets, mainly. Then I remembered that Toyota used to make a Camry station wagon. They're kinda rare, and stopped building them back in like '94 or '95. Found a '93 down in Orem, but it had a kajillion miles on it, and '93s have the old freon A/C system, which you really can't get serviced anymore(hence, my Subies demise). Finally found this one, after widening the search. In Denver. Colorado. Yes, 500 stinking miles away! But it looked pretty clean, and only has 97,000 miles on it, which for a Camry is barely broken in. So, after a few phone calls, off we went Friday with the truck & trailer. Got there just before midnite and caught a hotel. (BTW, if ya want a nice hotel to stay at near Denver, find the Raddison Hotel. Awesome hotel! they have SleepComfort beds, and were cheaper than a stupid Holiday Inn Express by almost $50!) Got up saturday and had breakfast, then went over to the dealer. (They had some neat toys inside! An old Chrysler 300, and a '62 Cadillac almost like the '61 my folks had when I was a kid) The Camry turned out to be almost as good as they claimed. Needs a couple things, but overall is a real nice driver!



Oh, and the thing has a back seat, like the old station wagons of the 60's and 70's! This thing can haul around 7 people! And it's not a minivan, or a SUV!



(Sorry 'bout that last comment. If you happen to LIKE minivans, or SUV's, that's ok. But I hate 'em personally)

4 comments:

Miriam said...

Rick, so glad you have found a new love. I know who to call if I'm looking for a new car...

bev said...

Welcome to your Camry. Treat her nice and she'll have your back. Treat her badly and she'll strand you at your neediest hour.

Vera said...

Ahhh, very nice... Sounds like I should have called you in my car hunt.... Oh well...

BeckyB said...

I like her! I'm rather jealous...I don't know what it is about "Estate" cars ;) but I LOVE them!!! I want one...like the newer Volvo Wagons, they're perty.